Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Jail Break?!

Sunday we visited a prison farm with a group of primary students. I had no idea what to expect because I’ve never been to a jail before. When we got there I was surprised to see the very minimum security. The prison is very close to the Tanzania border and later that day we crossed over the Uganda border into ‘no man’s land’ which is in-between Uganda and Tanzania. We sat in the ‘meeting room’ place at the jail while the students prepared and practiced their songs and skits. I was sitting with one of the staff members from Kibaale school and when the prisoners started to file in, I leaned over to ask her what type of crimes these men had committed and she responded with “I think rape, murder and theft”. Needless to say I was a little more uncomfortable as they came and sat basically right beside us. But, it was clarified later that most of the crimes committed from this prison aren’t too serious, so that was a relief!

I actually really enjoyed visiting the prisoners. The students did a great job singing and performing the skit. The men loved it, they were laughing so hard! Pastor Eric gave a quick sermon and 39 prisoners gave their life to the Lord. We also presented them with little gift baskets with soap, toothpaste, tooth brushes, etc. As well as some food before they were sent back to their little prison huts. It was a really good experience and I’m glad I was able to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment